Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Black on Black Zebra Print || Nail Art

Wondering how black on black works right? I'll tell you my litte secret in just a sec!

Back when I first starting wearing nail polish, black was definitely one of my favorite picks. I guess it was because it matched everything (which was true). I was more a jeans and t-shirt person and didn't like to dress up so black was a very safe option. I have definitely seen changes in what I wear now and black wouldn't be my first pick. And just looking at my polish collection, most of my colours are now pastels and brights. Honestly, I have to say that I haven't worn black, as a primary colour, on my nails for at least two years. I think it's because I chip my nails really fast and chipped black polish stands out like a sore thumb. And now that I work in a school environment, black is not the most professional either.

This tutorial looks hard but it's actually quite simple. The different finishes and the print makes a plain black nail much more sophisticated and I will say that it will definitely be a conversation starter.


Polished used:
OPI Natural Nail Base Coat
LA Colors Art Deco Striper in Black
Revlon Colorstay in 270 Stiletto
Nails Inc. Matté Finish in Westminster Bridge Topcoat

Apply your base coat and your black polish. I only had to apply one layer of my black polish. Give it some dry time.


Next, apply a layer of your matté finish. Give it some more dry time. See how it's no longer glossy? If you think that it's still semi glossy, give your nails another coat. This step is very important. Nails Inc.'s Westminster Bridge Topcoat was a huge hit when matté finishes first came out. I definitely recommend this one.


The next step you can either use a striper or, if you don't have a striper, use the same black polish and a toothpick. On top of your, now matté, black, take your striper or dipped toothpick and make zebra stripes. And give it some dry time and you're done! See how the glossy strips stand out against the matte base! Cool eh?



DO NOT FINISH IT OFF WITH A TOP COAT OR YOU WILL RUIN THE MATTÉ FINISH!
Note: this won't last long. Since there is no final top coat, it's going to chip. This is my second day and I'm already seeing chips here and there.

Zebras are one of my favorite animals because of it's stripes!
Question of the day: What is your favorite animal pattern?

Since I'm posting this up, I won't be posting for Manicure Weekend. Or will I?
I haven't made up my mind yet.


Stay beautiful!
- V

No comments:

Post a Comment