Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Racerback Workout Shirt || DIY

Hi Everyone!

It's super sunny today and I thought I would (and should) go for a run. I changed into my shorts and then I looked for me go-to workout tank but then I realized that it was in the wash. Since the sun is blazing hot, I knew that if I wore a regular t-shirt I would not only sweat profusely but I would get a  serious farmer's tan (I bake like crazy). Then I remembered that I watched a couple of DIY videos on YouTube and I thought I would give it a shot. This DIY is based off of Cassey Ho's and TheSorryGirls' own DIY racerback tanks. Alright here we go!

First you need to pick out an old t-shirt. I used my old high school gym shirt for this DIY but I would recommend you find a shirt that has a bit of a stretch (ie. cotton jersey); that way you get a more polished finished.



Step 1: Cut sleeves off. You want to keep the shape of the arm hole but just start maybe an inch or so below the sleeve. The lower you cut, the bigger the hole will be. I suggest you start off small and then try on the shirt; if you want it a bigger hole, take it off and cut again.



Step 2: Flip the t-shirt over to the back side. Cut the hole bigger only in the back! This will give an effect of a racerback. This is how I started out. I should of taken a picture of all adjustments to the back side because the hole grew :))


Step 3: Cut the collar off. For now just cut the rim of the collar.


Step 4: Separate the top of the back from the bottom. What you should be left with is a loop at the top and a flap on the bottom. I realized that I had forgot to take a photo before I cut it all up. With the flap, cut it into three vertical strips until you hit the same level as the bottom of the arm pit. Braid them together and stitch with some needle and thread


Step 5: Take the loop and find the center middle of it. Then attach to the braid with needle and thread.



Step 6: To make it neater and hid the stitches that we made, use an extra piece of t-shirt (I used a part of the collar) and wrap it around the stitches. Sew into place.


After you are done with that step, it's time to fix up any jagged edges or even change the neck and hemline. I decided to cut a deeper neck line but left the hemline the same. Stretch out the shirt and some of your cuts will begin to curl inwards or outwards -- really cool hem effect.

Here's the final product! Haha my hair is a mess - I had to put it up quickly because it was sooooo hot!


Try it out. It took a lot of patience and time but the final product looks pretty good to me!
Enjoy the sun everyone!

Stay beautiful!
- V

2 comments: